When should my child see the dentist?
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends establishing a "dental home" by your child's first birthday!
Referred from another office?
- We accept patients referred from another office who are under age 7.
- For us to provide your child with the best possible care, make sure your previous dentist emails you a copy of past xrays prior to your visit.
- Every child starts at the practice with a comprehensive exam visit regardless of referral.
Change takes time
- We want the best results for your child!
- Best results come when families stay with us for routine care and treatment needs (i.e. routine exams, cleanings, xrays, fluoride application, restorative needs).
- This helps us to spot potential problems, help develop dental skills and knowledge to ensure the best possible dental health in later years.
We treat the child not the tooth
- As pediatric specialists, we put the focus on your child.
- We evaluate growth, behavior, tooth health, diet, home care, and your unique concerns at each visit.
- We give you the best information to address specific needs and to achieve a healthy adult-tooth smile.
Preparing for your child's first visit
- At the first visit, our goal is to evaluate your child’s needs and come up with a game plan together.
- We tailor your child's first visit based on age, dental skills and comfort level.
- For example, infants and young children often do better in a parent's lap, whereas older children may be able to independently sit in the dental chair for their care.
Preparing for your child's treatment visit
- Dr. Ludwig and his staff will explain everything in easy to understand language based on your child's age.
- We use words like "counting teeth", "ice cream water" or "sleepy juice", "sugar bugs" and "Mr. Thirsty".
- Our intention is not to "fool" your child, but rather to create an interactive experience with dental treatment through positive reinforcement.
- We get our best results when parents are silent observers who are confident and supportive.